Happy Birthday to ME! This birthday was simply lovely for a lot of reasons, but let’s focus on my favorite: Cake. I Love all types of cake, who doesn’t? But being newly a self-appointed health nut, I’ve been neglecting my cake tasting senses for quite some time. Thats why I requested the richest, creamiest, most wonderful of all pastries to grace my party’s presence: Tres Leches Cake.
The Sweetest Recipe:
My lovely mother made me cake for me, & this is her recipe!
For the Cake:
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
For the Tres Leche Sauce :
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- fresh fruit, we used cherries but you can use raspberries, strawberries, blueberries & more!
Mix it, Bake it, Shake it!
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Combine flour and baking powder; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter into a greased 13×9-in. baking dish.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a wire rack. Poke holes in cake with a skewer, about 1/2 in. apart.
- In a small saucepan, bring the three milks to a boil over medium-low heat. Remove from heat; gradually stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to pan, stirring constantly. Stir in rum if desired. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour milk mixture over cake, allowing mixture to absorb into cake. Let stand 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine frosting ingredients over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 14-18 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl; beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Frost the cake right before you serve it! The frosting tends to melt, so the quicker, the yummier!
My favorite Gift:
My favorite gift was spending the day with my family, and my adorable boyfriend. He truly is the sweetest!
My other gifts included:
- Red TOMS
- Bracelets from Nepal
- Clothing from Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, & Forever 21
- Esty bows
- Records, & Much More!